Things To Do In Akron OH

  • DR. Bob's Home

    855 Ardmore Avenue, Akron, OH, USA .

    The small, arts and crafts house tucked away on a quiet street in Akron, Ohio was to become the life-long home of Dr. Bob Smith and his wife, Anne Ripley Smith. Built in 1915, the house was where Dr. Smith brought his bride in 1916; and where they lived for the next 34 years until their deaths:  Anne in 1949 and Dr. Bob in 1950. It was here, in this humble home, that Dr. Smith was to take his incredible journey through the twelve steps and into history as the Founder of Alcoholics Anonymous.

    It was in this house and surrounding neighborhood where the miracle of recovery began for many hundreds of men and women; individuals who went on to spread this welcome message of recovery around the world. Many visitors have spoken of a feeling of oneness with the spirit of AA as soon as they climbed the front steps and crossed the threshold. It is our hope and belief that you will too.

    The Home was named a National Historic Landmark on Oct. 31, 1985, Dr. Bob’s Home was named a State Historical Site by Governor Richard Celeste. On October 17, 2012, Dr. Bob’s Home was named a National Historic Landmark. Dr. Bob’s Home is one of only two National Historic Landmarks in Summit County and one of 73 in the state of Ohio.

    Many once- hopeless alcoholics, Dr. Bob among them, made their first shaky steps toward recovery in this place. Walking through these rooms, we may reflect on those days in the 1930’s and 1940’s when the Smiths and their visitors spoke of spiritual matters, and reflected in gratitude, on how dramatically their lives had changed because of them.

  • Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens

    714 North Portage Path, Akron, OH, USA .

    Stan Hywet Beginnings:

    In 1910, F.A. Seiberling, co-founder of The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, began to purchase land in Portage Township, a farming area on the west side of the Akron city limits. Seiberling and his wife, Gertrude, wanted to build a home large enough for their growing brood and their extended family. They also wanted the house to function as a center for entertainment and events for the greater Akron community. They named it Stan Hywet, Old English for stone quarry — after the property’s most prominent natural feature. Seiberling hired architect Charles Schneider, landscape designer Warren Manning, and interior decorator Hugo Huber to create Stan Hywet.Construction began in 1912 and the Seiberling family moved to their new house in December, 1915. The Seiberlings enjoyed Stan Hywet Hall for the next 40 years —opening their doors countless times to the community, as well as marking family milestones throughout the estate.

    The 70 acre Stan Hywet estate includes:

    • 5 historic buildings 
    • 10 fully restored historic gardens
    • collection and furnishings with 95% original to the estate

    Historic House Museum and Garden
    After the death of F.A. Seiberling in 1955, Stan Hywet became a non-profit historic house museum, opening for tours so that the public could benefit from the cultural, educational, and inspirational riches of one of the most significant achievements in architecture and horticulture to come out of America’s Industrial Age.  Stan Hywet is open Tuesday-Sunday for tours, April - December.

  • Mustard Seed Market & Cafe

    867 West Market Street, Akron, OH, USA .

    Mustard Seed Market & Café is the largest locally-owned retailer of natural and organic products in Ohio. We’ve been part of the community since 1981—a locally-owned family business—our specialty is providing high quality natural and organic foods along with education and information on food issues and the environment.

    We are pioneers in this work that began over 30 years ago with our strict ingredient standards—no artificial colors, flavorings or harmful chemical preservatives, no saccharin or aspartame, no irradiated foods, meats raised without the use of growth hormones and never fed animal by-products—and we continue our leadership today.


  • Ohio To Erie Trail

    Ohio To Erie Trail Akron, OH, 44302 .

    A primarily off-street recreational trail from the Ohio River to Lake Erie, the Ohio to Erie Trail spans the state of Ohio from Cincinnati to Cleveland for the most part following lands formerly occupied by railroads and canals. The collection of regional trails connects four of Ohio’s metropolitan cities, a dozen large towns and numerous small villages – all done on easily accessible, paved trails that are primarily separated from highways and automobiles. The length in 2017 is 326 miles.

    As of November of 2019, 274.84 miles (84.3%) of the 326 total are designated trail way with 51.16 miles (15.7%) on separated paved trails. See details.

    Our mileage grids help you to plan shorter or longer travels on the OTET between the towns or designated areas. The actual total mileage of separated paved trail changes monthly as more and more miles are taken off streets and routed onto new separate paved trails. As we utilize more abandoned rail bed we actually shorten the length of the overall length of the OTET.

    Finding Your Way
    The OTET is known as Route 1 in Ohio and in some locations it is also becoming US Bikeway 21.  The large way-finding signs help travelers to know the distances between towns as well as what amenities each locale has to offer.  Also, hundreds of Route 1 bike signs with arrows, mark the way between our way-finding signs.

    Map Your Way
    Our printed four map set will guide you well on both completed pathways and connecting road segments. However, note that with new pavement added, and local detours for all kinds of reasons, make sure that you have checked this web site for updates!

    United States Bike Route 21
    In the near future the designation of US BR 21 will be appended to the Ohio to Erie Trail, signaling an exciting era of inter-state bicycling networks. The OTET will retain the Ohio Route 1 designation but will also be known nationally as US Bike Route 21.

    What You’ll See
    Along the way, the trail passes through rural areas, farmlands, nature preserves, and regional parks giving the adventurous a hearty helping of nature’s finest. The small rural towns are a treasure of small shops, restaurants and history of Ohio. At the metropolitan perimeters, meadows and woods give way to exciting urban centers, affording the traveler a contemporary taste of Ohio’s culture and arts.

    Everyone Welcome
    The Ohio to Erie Trail is a collection of multi-use trails that provide exercise and adventure to anyone who’s willing to leave the automobile behind. Bicyclists, equestrians, skaters, hikers, families with strollers, bird watchers, walkers and nature lovers are a common sight. In the winter, the trail becomes a snowshoe and cross-country ski path. And, for those with mobility impairments, construction designs call for full compliance with ADA guidelines so that everyone has the opportunity to explore the natural beauty of Ohio as the trail weaves its way across the state

    Ohio’s Green Corridor
    The Ohio to Erie Trail is in place with 270+ miles of recreational trail. Users are able to travel the corridor linking Cincinnati, Columbus, Akron and Cleveland on a safe trail while enjoying the splendor of Ohio’s rural heartland. Along the way, users can re-live the history that shaped the state: Amish history, Revolutionary War history, Civil War history, canal history, railroad history — it all happened here along the OTET!

    Completed Route
    Travelers can traverse the entire 326 miles of Route 1 from Cincinnati to Cleveland now using the 270+ miles of paved trail separated from streets.  In the metropolitan areas there are still a few miles of travel required on streets. In the rural areas of Holmes and Wayne Counties there are a few miles of country roads as we work to acquire and also pave property for the OTET recreational trail. Wayne County has the largest section of very rural roads used on the OTET and has 17 miles remaining to be turned into recreational trail.

    Connecting the State’s Local Trails
    There are 22 local/regional trails that come together to form the Ohio to Erie Trail. Each of the trails has its own unique aspects and each varies in length with the Little Miami Scenic Trail in southern Ohio and the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath being the two largest with about 50 and 100 miles respectively.

    On-Going Use of the OTET
    Every week there are numerous events all along the OTET from local community walks to more ambitious fundraisers that have runners, walkers and bicyclists traveling many trail miles to raise funds for great causes. Many of these events are shared on our Facebook page here. Note that some local communities may have regulations regarding use of the trail for such events. The OTET Board of Directors strongly suggests that event organizers check with local trail stakeholders.

    Ed Honton was the founder of the Ohio to Erie Trail and the non-profit organization’s first president. It was his vision in 1991 to have a recreational path from Cincinnati to Cleveland mostly using former railroad and canal corridors. Through Ed’s dedication and hard work, the Ohio to Erie Trail became a reality. It was a tremendous loss in 2005 when Ed died, but his legacy will be enjoyed for centuries. Along a new section of the OTET on the Alum Creek Trail, please take a few minutes, pause and read about Ed’s story on a large bronze plaque on a huge stone next to one of the Alum Creek bridges dedicated to this visionary in Ohio.

    A plaque honoring previous President Dr. Tom Moffitt will be placed along the trail in the Hamilton County area in spring of 2020. Dr. Moffitt led the board to carry out Ed Honton’s vision, resulting in the completion of many miles.


    Mike Groeber, current President, has served on the board since 2014. Former President, William Daehler, served as VP since 2001. Prior to William, Dr. Tom Moffitt led the organization as President of the Board  from 2004-2017. Dr. Moffitt joined the Board in 2001.

    Chris Haydocy, current Vice President, has served the board since 2017. Don Noble (Treasurer) has served the board in their position for over five years. Our current Secretary position is open after Mary Plumley served since 2016.

    The Board has 14 elected, volunteer directors from across the state, many of whom have been active with the OTETF for over a decade.  Jerry Rampelt was the Board’s long time executive director and he joined the Board as a member following his retirement as the director in 2014. It is this volunteer Board that is responsible for keeping Ed Honton’s vision alive.

    In late 2015, Lisa Daris became the part-time Executive Coordinator. Lisa handles the day to day operations of the organization and reports to the board president and officers.  Lisa served on the Community Advisory Committee for MORPC’s transportation department. She has also served on the board of FLOW (Friends of the Lower Olentangy), and is the director for TOSRV (Tour of the Scioto River Valley), the oldest running cycling event in the United States. In addition, she operates her own seasonal kayaking company, Olentangy Paddle. She is a graduate of the The Ohio State University.

  • Trecaso's Mary Coyle's

    780 West Market Street, Akron, OH, USA .


    The original Mary Coyle Ice Cream & Candy store opens in 1937. Located at 26 East Exchange Street in Akron, Ohio. The Coyle’s would expand to include 5 locations in the Akron area.


    ONLY ONE: 1951

    The original Mary Coyle Ice Cream & Candies opens on Exchange Street in Akron, Ohio. They would eventually grow to 5 locations in Northeast Ohio.


    NEW OWNER: 1963

    The Highland Square Mary Coyle Ice Cream location is purchased in 1963 by Jack Coultrap. Jack would go on to operate Mary Coyle Ice Cream for 24 years.



    15-year old Michael Trecaso is hired in April 1967 to serve Mary Coyle ice cream. Here he first learned the value of an honest day’s work. An important lesson he would later impart to his six children!



    In 1973, Michael Trecaso opens Michael Trecaso’s Italian Restaurant,at the age of 21. it was a full-service restaurant located in the heart University of Akron campus and just blocks away from Quaker Square shops. The restaurant specialized in homemade Italian classics made from old world family recipes. It was a place where students, famlies, and friends where able to enjoy home cooking.


    After a taste contest The Akron Beacon Journal Concluded that “The ultimate pizza…would have Trecaso’s crust.” (City Visitor October, 1990)


    14 YEARS STRONG: 1987

    In October 1987, after 14 years of success, Michael Trecaso purchases Mary Coyle Ice Cream in Highland Square. The same store he worked at as a teenager. His mother also worked as a teenager at the Highland Square location. He made a promise to himself to maintain the standards and traditions established by Mary Coyle herself. He does this by making fresh ice cream daily, featuring delicious candies as well as collectibles.


    THE MOVE: 1996

    Michael moves his Italian Restaurant from its University of Akron location. The restaurant joins Mary Coyle Ice Cream in Highland Square. Michael and his family continue to serve both Mary Coyle ice cream and their home-made Italian meals. The two well known restaurants have to offer under the same roof since 1996.



    Michael Trecaso II resigns from his position as a chef at a local steakhouse in 2013. Michael II returns full time as partner of Michael Trecaso’s Restaurant. He is now the 4th generation of the Trecaso’s to serve Mary Coyle ice cream.